2:57 PM

Searching Update

We recently got back our results from our search for more information for Elora’s past. We did not get anything huge. We did get a contact person who is willing to communicate with us at the police office that she was processed at, that alone made this search worth it to me. I am in the process of trying to foster that relationship. We also got over 100 photos and videos of her home town and finding spot as well as other locations in town that the searcher was searching for us. I asked for the weather on the day she was found and got that as well as other tiny mementos from her home town that are so precious to me, since we had no time to see the town or get to know the people.


I think the one thing that did surprise me from this venture was how no one who the searcher spoke to remembered a child being left at what we are told is her finding spot. It is so odd to me because she was such a phenomenon when we were in China, we were gawked at and photographed and followed and pointed at and stared at and crowds gathered where ever we went. I had this vision that her finding would have caused a great wave of on lookers, a sea of camera phones snapping away because that was what leaving the hotel with her was always like. I cannot believe that this little neighborhood full of small vendors and residential buildings and no one had heard of a baby having been found. They remembered me though, they all remembered a foreign lady coming a pasting up a poster about this child. Yep that was me, and I was on that street for about 7 minutes. I spoke to no one, I pasted up one solitary poster, took two photos of the poster and left. But a white haired baby all alone on the street did not get noticed or remembered?

Finding places have been known to be falsified all the time. At any number of points along a child’s path to the orphanage a little fib could be told. I have no reason to believe that the orphanage did not tell the truth, from what I can tell no other children from this orphanage are known to have false finding spots. So if it was not the orphanage fibbing, the next most logical point of misinformation is the person who reported her found. We still do not know the identity of this person. But that is one BIG assumption that this is a fib at all, maybe her finding was a quiet affair but that is just so contrary to how I envisioned it. I know I am not supposed to make any assumptions, but I just cannot help letting my mind wander. What a mystery.

2 comments:

Catherine said...

There are so many unknowns about our children's start and it breaks my heart.

So glad you were able to get what you were about her home town, the weather and more. Every little bit is a treasure to hold close. So thankful you're able to collect these treasures for Elora!!

Catherine said...

There are so many unknowns about our children's start and it breaks my heart.

So glad you were able to get what you were about her home town, the weather and more. Every little bit is a treasure to hold close. So thankful you're able to collect these treasures for Elora!!