4:54 PM

The year in review

I have been answering these same questions about the new year for 15 years now. Ya some of the questions sound like something a teen would ask... I considered looking for a new list, but my love of tradition and consistency won out and voila, this year's year in review:


1.What did you do in 2011 that you'd never done before?

I became a full time driver with a licence and car and everything.

2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

I don't think I wrote down any resolutions, so I am not sure if I got them done or not.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

Seems like a lot of people close to me did, lots of babies in my universe these days.

4. Did anyone close to you die?

No one close to me did, but there were some children who I never met who I read about only, and they died, and it was shattering for me. I guess it is always so sad when life ends too early.

5. What countries did you visit?

Just my mountains in NY.

6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?

Last year I wished for more time, and I got it. I got the good part of time and I got the hard part of time too. This year I wish for peace. Peace in my heart, patience and an end to the soul sucking waiting.

7. What date from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

Getting the call that baby girl was allowed to be ours. I have never sighed so deeply in all my life. I also did not know that a person could hold their breath for 2 whole days, but after those words I took what felt like my first breath in 48 hours.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Last years statement of "the rare day I got 3 square meals into Emery and neither of us cried." still holds true and high on my list of achievements. I have had a lot of success at work this year too. I came to be pretty proud and confident about my skills, after years of being pretty ambivalent towards work, I got pretty pumped this year about the impact I have made.

9. What was your biggest failure?

I have not managed to live in the moment and smell the roses this year. I have wished too many of my days away.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

I have been pretty darn healthy. I credit my lax attitude towards germs.

11. What was the best thing you bought?

I really curbed my shopping this year, I did not buy much of any thing. I am really happy with Emery's new bed and the crib sheets I got for Elora, both awesome deals and exactly what I had been dreaming of.

12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?

Jack Layton. Completely unjust that he died, life can be sucky.

13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?

Bunch of people showed me their true colours this year. Worst part is that this is just the start of more to come I think.

14. Where did most of your money go?

Savings.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

My first updated photos of Elora.

16. What song will always remind you of 2011?

Jet Lag - Simple Plan

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

i. happier or sadder? Sadder

ii. thinner or fatter? Same

iii. richer or poorer? Same

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?

travelling yes this has been on my wish list for too many years now :(

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?

Fretting

20. How did you spend Christmas?

We had a lot of celebrations leading up to Christmas and then we were just complete sloths the rest of the time. I enjoyed it. Emery really got the whole idea of the holiday this year. It was really great, but I missed baby girl so many times.

21. Did you fall in love in 2011?

I fell in love with my Elora.

23. How many one-night stands?

Zero, that was so 2001. See what I mean about the irrelevant questions :)

24. What was your favorite TV program?

I think I liked True Blood best this year, or So you think you can dance, because I love love love watching this as a family.

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?

I have not been with out hate this year. It's typically not my style, but I have been short on patience this year. Real short.

26. What was the best book you read?

Silent Tears by Kay Bratt so valuable to me and left my heart, mind and stomach in knots.

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?

Just how many love songs apply to my love for my kids.

28. What did you want and get?

I got our match with Elora, and I got welcomed with open arms into the sisterhood of adoptive moms. You know we all start this journey from worlds apart, but there is something about the wait that bridges all gaps and unifies the mothers who wait. You gals have been my insight, my rock, my saviours, my cheerleaders and the ones who just get it. I have never been in a sorority before but now I feel like I am and I am so glad to be there.

29. What did you want and not get?

Nothing at all.

30. What was your favourite film of this year?

Mao's last dancer was pretty good.

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

32 and we had an amazing night out at Cirque du Soleil. Followed by date night at a murder mystery diner theatre. It was a great birthday.

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably satisfying?

If we had got Elora home for Christmas. A girl can dream right?

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?

I went for sexy granny and "vintage" finds to make a work look that was uniquely me and fit my budget.

34. What kept you sane?

This blog.

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

Jack Layton

36. What political issue stirred you the most?

The federal election.

37. Who did you miss?

I missed Elora. I was just full of missing her, before I ever knew her, and still more now.

38. Who was the best new person you met?

Stacy!!! and Amy!!!

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011:

I have immeasurable strength, just when I thought I could not do it any more, I did, and then I did something even harder the next day. I felt so weak so many times, but I really want to remember this lesson, because I think I will need it in 2012.

Happy New Year!!!

0 comments: