4:35 PM

Affording your adoption 101

Yes, international adoption is expensive. Most adoptive parents find creative ways to save up for their adoption(s). As a family we are doing many things but one of them is tightening our purse strings. Just one little problem. I am an admitted shopaholic. This is an addiction that is mostly in check but does flare up when I am stressed out. The problem is that not only is adoption expensive but it is also stressful! Today my friends I am here to tell you about how we are surviving the wait with style!

I love shopping, almost as much as I love my family. I also love me and the kiddos to look fashionable and it gives me great joy to dress us up, just so, with the must haves of the season. I have always been a thrifty shopper, I deal in volumes you would not believe, so bargains have always been a must. But what was this fashionista to do when even the steals on the steal or splurge page would cost you your whole year's clothing allowance? I just got thriftier, and now I am going to show you how you can do it too.


I have taken photos two outfits I wore to work this week and with help from my co-worker Sasha, who by the way was also the inspiration for this blog post. Both of these looks cost less than $50 including tax and accessories!!!

First up we have the the bow blouse inspired by mad men (or as I call it, Granny goes sexy)
The fashion pages look by Alice Olivia $220.00 (for ONLY the blouse!!)



Now my look


Shirt from Talize $3.99 This store rocks, for so many reasons, the profits support local charity, it is a great way to recycle and the prices can not be beat. I know, for many fashionistas shopping second hand has a certain insurmountable ick factor. If the prices can't get you over that check your washing machine for a sanitize feature. I take all of my purchases directly from the shopping bag to the washing machine and sanitize the bageezus out of them until there is not a whiff of that odd mothball smell left. I personally like to brag that I only payed 1/4 the amount you did to look twice as great, but if you are more demure, when every one heaps the compliments on you, simply tell them it's a one of a kind vintage find. Yep, vintage is celeb speak for second hand. To duplicate this look find a second hand store that has a high population of seniors, because this shirt was actually made in the original decade that the designers are now "inspired" by and some woman has been wearing it since it was the height of fashion. Now it is yours to snag. Be sure to wear it with other items that are modern and a tad vampy to ensure that you don't go too far the other way. The key is a touch of granny, for yesteryear elegance, go to far and you risk dorky librarian or frump.
Pants from Giant Tiger $10 last spring on clearance. Always shop in the clearance rack for the following year. Only suckers pay full price.
Shoes from Forever 21 $12 a few seasons ago. The lesson here is that dramatic shoes can make a plain outfit pop. You can never have too many shoes. Never. Especially if they are less then $20 a pop. Always be hunting for amazing shoe finds, always.
Grand TOTAL THIS LOOK: $26.00 Head to toe. Now that is a steal!


Second look is some times called the equestrian look.

This is from the JC Penny catalogue, unknown price.


Now my look


Sweater from Talize again $3.99. One more thing I would like to mention is that if you love high quality craftsmanship and detailing then "vintage" is the solution for your tiny budget.
Pants are Alfred Sung, Alfred Sung for Zellers that is. :) A few weeks ago they had the fall pants on sale for half off so I got two pairs of these beauties for $14.99 each. Another tip, if you like it and it flatters you buy it in as many colours as you can afford.
Shoes are from Joe Fresh, for 29.00, best part is NO TAX since they came from the CHILDREN'S DEPARTMENT!!!! I wear a size 7 ladies and that translates into a size 5 in Joe's girls department. I know the math is screwy but a size 8.5 womens can wear the girl's size 6 at Joe (sorry that's as big as they come). The moral of the story is be creative look in unexpected places.
Grand TOTAL THIS LOOK: $47.00 head to toe

I hope this will provide you with some inspiration in your wardrobe and budget. Remember to embrace your inner MILF and flaunt it!

Public Service Announcement:
Yes adoption is expensive but I would like to take this moment to remind you that it is the fees associated with transferring guardianship of a child and travel for 3 to the other side of the world that adoptive parents "buy". We never "bought" our children, because that would be human trafficking and illegal. So please don't ask "how much she cost" or where you can "get one of those".
This announcement has been brought to you by annoyed adoptive parents of the world in association with the educate the public with no self filters foundation. AAPotW, EtPWNSFF.

0 comments: